Update: I am scratching Todd Melkus off this list because, at the end of his spiel, he did state his support for his party’s nominee. My apologies.
This year, it its election guide, the Leader asked the candidates if they support their party’s nominee for president. I think this is a somewhat worthwhile question, unlike some of the other questions they ask (like “should county council seats be nonpartisan?”). The takeaway from this question is that all GOP candidates in the county were happy to state their support for Donald Trump, but that many Democrat candidates would not endorse Hillary Clinton. None of them outright said they would not support her, they merely ducked the question in various ways. Here is a list of county Democratic candidates who would not answer whether or not they support Hillary:
- Steve Meinberg, sheriff candidate
- Dorothy Stafford, treasurer candidate
- TJ McKenna, public administrator candidate
Todd Melkus, assessor candidate
- Jeff Roorda, county council candidate (I was thinking he might go for Trump, since he has been vocal in support of police, and Roorda wants to look conservative-ish)
- Robert Butler, legislature candidate
Unclear: Legislature candidate Karen Settlemoir-Berg gave an uncertain answer. One could read it as a Hillary endorsement or a dodge. Read her answer here and judge for yourself.